Tiberias

Title

Tiberias

Description

This city, in ancient times called Zenereth and elsewhere Cynaroth, is located on the shores of the sea called Tiberias, between east and south, about two leagues distant from Mt. Bethulia where Judith killed Holofernes. Later it was restored by Herod, tetrarch of Galilee, and named Tiberiadis in honor of Tiberius Caesar; now it is called Tiberias. In it Christ received Matthew into the apostleship; it once possessed a bishop under whose authority was the Sea of Galilee. Near this city there are said to be naturally occurring hot baths, and bordering it is the region of the Decapolis, named for its ten principal cities. In this region, not far from Tiberias, there is a bituminous lake which, on account of its size and the stillness of its waters, is called the Dead Sea. For neither is it disturbed by winds, since the bitumen, because of which the water stagnates, resists agitation, nor does it allow passage by boat, since all inanimate things are sunk in its depths, nor does it tolerate any substance except the alum for which it is famous. The bituminous sea produces nothing besides bitumen, hence its name. It admits the body of no animal: bulls and camels float, and as a consequence the rumor is that none can be submerged in it. In length it exceeds one hundred miles; in width it extends twenty-five miles at most, and at least six.

Creator

Susan Cao

Source

Image:
Hartmann Schedel (1493). Liber cronicarum cum figuris et ymaginibus ab inicio mundi.
USC Libraries, Special Collections Call No: D17.S34 1493b, f. 34.

Text:
Hartmann Schedel (2010). Liber chronicarum: translation.
USC Libraries, Special Collections Call No: D17.S3413 2010 v.1-v.4

Files

Tiberias.png

Citation

Susan Cao, “Tiberias,” Nuremberg Chronicle, accessed September 23, 2017, http://uscnuremberg.omeka.net/items/show/45.

Geolocation